by Emmanuel Atanga | Jun 19, 2025 | Africa, Europe, International, Nigeria, Soccer
Nigerian star eyes Premier League comeback after four-year Turkish spell
Bright Osayi-Samuel has officially informed Fenerbahçe of his decision to depart the Turkish giants at the end of the current campaign, drawing the curtain on a four-year spell that saw him evolve into a fan favourite in Istanbul.
According to inside sources cited by Ghanaian journalist Atanga Emmanuel, the versatile Nigerian defender’s camp has communicated his exit plans to the club’s hierarchy — ending months of speculation over his long-term future.
Premier League Ambition Drives Next Move
Out of contract this month, Osayi-Samuel is prioritizing a return to England, where he previously impressed at Queens Park Rangers. The 27-year-old is said to have already received interest from both Premier League and Championship clubs, with his next step likely to be decided in the coming weeks.
In a past interview, the Super Eagles international made no secret of his dream to feature again in English football.
> “I think everyone knows that my ambition is to play English football, to play in the Premier League. No disrespect to Fenerbahçe — they’ve done so much for me in Turkey — but my ambition is to play in the Premier League,” he stated during a chat with Sportsblog247.com.
End of an Era in Istanbul
Osayi-Samuel joined Fenerbahçe in 2021 and quickly became a key figure thanks to his pace, defensive versatility, and attacking contributions. Operating both as a right-back and a winger, he earned admiration for his tenacity and commitment on the pitch.
However, despite his performances, the Turkish side failed to offer a contract extension. Sources close to the player also claim there were internal miscommunications surrounding his salary expectations — a factor that contributed to his decision to move on.
Now set to leave on a free transfer, Osayi-Samuel’s exit marks the end of an impactful chapter for both club and player.
What’s Next for Osayi-Samuel ?
While the Premier League remains the top target, the Nigerian international is keeping an open mind about his next destination. With multiple offers on the table from across Europe, the coming weeks are expected to be crucial in finalizing his next club.
One thing is clear: Osayi-Samuel’s journey in Turkey is over — and his path may soon lead him back to the English game.
by Emmanuel Atanga | Jun 19, 2025 | Africa, Europe, International, Nigeria, Soccer
Victor Osimhen reportedly rejects Al-Hilal offer, eyes Manchester United switch as Ferdinand fuels speculation
Victor Osimhen has once again sparked transfer headlines after reportedly rejecting a lucrative move to Saudi Arabian giants Al-Hilal — with Manchester United emerging as a possible destination.
The Nigerian striker, who netted 37 goals during a standout loan spell with Galatasaray in the 2024/25 season, was on the brink of joining Al-Hilal in a blockbuster deal agreed with Napoli. However, Osimhen turned down the offer, preferring to stay in Europe and compete at the highest level, despite having just a year left on his contract. Napoli are said to be seeking £64 million ($86m) for the 26-year-old.
Former United defender Rio Ferdinand believes there’s a bigger motive behind the decision. Speaking on his Rio Presents YouTube show, Ferdinand said:
> “No.9? They already know who I want. The comments know, the people know who I want, who I would go and get: Osimhen!
It looks like he’s turned down Al-Hilal… he must be waiting for Manchester United. I don’t know if Manchester United are going to come. That’s the problem.”
United are actively searching for another striker to support their frontline following underwhelming performances from Rasmus Hojlund and new signing Joshua Zirkzee. They’ve already landed £62.5 million Brazilian forward Matheus Cunha, a signing Ferdinand endorsed:
> “I’m happy with Cunha, he’s one of the ones I mentioned on my list. I hope it goes well for him.
The problem is that I’ve been happy many times in transfer windows and it’s gone wrong. I’m hoping he’s not going to be added to that list. If they get [Bryan] Mbeumo, I’d be very happy.”
Despite finishing 15th in the Premier League and missing out on European qualification, United remain an attractive destination under Ruben Amorim’s rebuild — and Osimhen might just be the blockbuster addition to kick-start their new era.
by Emmanuel Atanga | Jun 19, 2025 | Africa, Europe, International, Nigeria, Soccer, USA, World Cup
In a night dominated by Juventus’ brilliance, it was a 17-year-old Nigerian prodigy who quietly stole a slice of the spotlight.
Joshua Udoh etched his name into football history by becoming the youngest African ever to feature in a FIFA Club World Cup match. The teenage midfielder made his professional debut for UAE’s Al Ain, coming on in the 90th minute of their Group G encounter against Juventus at Audi Field in the United States.
Though Al Ain suffered a heavy 5–0 defeat to the Italian giants, Udoh’s late appearance carried enormous symbolic weight. At just 17 years and 349 days old, the Nigerian sensation became not only the youngest from his country but the youngest African to grace the prestigious global stage.
Udoh replaced Soufiane Rahimi in a tactical move by manager Vladimir Ivic, aimed at giving the youngster his first taste of elite-level football — a move that, despite the scoreline, will be remembered for its significance in Nigerian and African football circles.
But there was little mercy from Juventus. The Bianconeri were relentless, as Randal Kolo Muani and Francisco Conceição both netted braces, with Kenan Yildiz also getting on the scoresheet. From the first whistle, Juve dominated — Costa and Cambiaso wreaked havoc down the flanks, while Thuram and Kalulu destabilized the Al Ain defence with clever movement and crisp passing.
Kolo Muani’s header from a Costa delivery opened the scoring, followed by Conceição’s close-range finish. Yildiz blasted in a long-range third, before Kolo Muani grabbed his second and Conceição added a dazzling solo goal in the second half.
Al Ain’s few bright moments came after the break, with VAR denying a potential goal and Kodjo Laba testing Juventus goalkeeper Michele Di Gregorio. However, the Emirati side could not shift the tide.
Juventus now prepare for heavyweight battles against Wydad Casablanca and Manchester City. For Joshua Udoh, though, the night represents a major personal milestone — the first step in what could be a promising career on the global stage.
by Emmanuel Atanga | Jun 19, 2025 | AFCON, Africa, Nigeria, Soccer
With the 2024 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) just weeks away, Super Falcons head coach Justin Madugu has officially confirmed that Atlético Madrid star Rasheedat Ajibade will lead Nigeria as team captain in Morocco.
The announcement puts to rest growing speculation about who would wear the armband, with several experienced players — including Asisat Oshoala, Osinachi Ohale, and Chiamaka Nnadozie — being tipped as potential leaders.
Speaking to Sports Zone, Coach Madugu said:
> “Rasheedat (Ajibade) is the official captain of the Super Falcons.”
Ajibade, known for her creativity, leadership, and consistent performance, will now lead Nigeria’s charge as they aim for a record-extending 10th WAFCON title.
Nigeria’s preparation for the tournament has been far from ideal, with the team playing only one game — a 2-0 win over Cameroon — since November 2023. Despite the limited match action, expectations remain high for the continent’s most decorated women’s national team.
The Super Falcons are drawn in Group B, where they will face Tunisia, Algeria, and Botswana when the competition kicks off on July 5 and runs through July 26 in Morocco.
by Emmanuel Atanga | Jun 19, 2025 | AFCON, Africa, Europe, International, Nigeria, Soccer
New Chapter for Super Eagles Defender at Jay Jay Okocha’s Former Club
Hull City have officially announced the signing of Nigerian international Semi Ajayi on a two-year deal, with an option to extend for a further year — marking a fresh start for the experienced centre-back following his release from West Bromwich Albion.
Ajayi, who has featured over 200 times in the EFL Championship, brings a wealth of experience to a Hull side determined to climb the table after narrowly avoiding relegation last season. The 31-year-old, formerly of Rotherham and Arsenal’s youth ranks, battled hamstring issues in the previous campaign and made just 14 starts for the Baggies.
Despite his limited appearances, Ajayi remains a seasoned campaigner — capped 43 times for Nigeria, most recently helping the Super Eagles to win the 2025 Unity Cup and reach the AFCON 2023 final earlier in the year.
Speaking on his move, Ajayi expressed enthusiasm for Hull City’s ambition and long-term vision:
> “I’m really excited. I spoke to the sporting director and head of recruitment — they sold me on the club’s vision. Hull want to challenge at the top end of the table, and that’s where I want to be.
I bring experience, leadership, and physicality — I’m good in the air, comfortable on the ball, and have pace, which the club values.”
He added:
> “I had a good six years at West Brom, but I’m hungry for a new challenge. I want to prove myself again and help Hull get back to where they belong.”
Ajayi follows in the footsteps of Nigerian legend Jay Jay Okocha, who once donned the black and amber jersey during his illustrious career.
With 13 goals and 3 assists in 177 appearances for West Brom, Ajayi’s arrival could prove vital as Hull aim to rebuild and push for a top-half finish or better in the coming campaign.