by Emmanuel Atanga | Jun 14, 2025 | AFCON, Africa, Europe, Ghana, International, Soccer, World Cup
“Hopefully We’ll Be There,” Says Ghana Midfield Star on 2026 Qualification Hopes
Ghanaian midfield powerhouse Thomas Partey has voiced strong optimism about the Black Stars’ chances of qualifying for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, as the team continues its impressive run in the African qualifiers.
The Arsenal midfielder, speaking in an interview with Sportsblog247, emphasized the squad’s hunger to return to the global stage for what would be their fifth appearance at the Mundial. Ghana’s recent back-to-back wins against Chad and Madagascar in March have significantly boosted their campaign, propelling them to the top of Group I with 15 points and four matches left to play.
“As players, we want to be at the World Cup,” said the 31-year-old. “We were there the last time, and we saw how nice it is. We want to be there again, so hopefully we win the rest of the games, and we will be there.”
The 2026 tournament—set to be hosted across the USA, Mexico, and Canada—has become a major goal for the Black Stars, who are looking to rekindle the pride of their earlier World Cup adventures, especially the memorable run in 2010.
The team will reconvene in September for their crucial Matchday 7 and 8 encounters, including a rematch with Chad and a showdown against Mali, as they aim to seal qualification and make the nation proud once more.
by Emmanuel Atanga | Jun 14, 2025 | Africa, Europe, Ghana, Nigeria
Napoli could be preparing a summer swoop for Atalanta’s in-form defender, Isak Hien, as new head coach Antonio Conte looks to solidify his backline ahead of the upcoming Serie A campaign.
The Swedish-Ghanaian centre-back has rapidly become a standout figure at Atalanta since his arrival in January 2024. Known for his composure under pressure and no-nonsense tackles, Hien played a pivotal role in the Bergamo-based side’s defensive success last season—performances that have not gone unnoticed.
According to renowned transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, Conte is particularly fond of the 25-year-old, describing him as a player he “really likes” but also acknowledging the difficulty of securing his signature. “A name that is considered and that I can assure you that Antonio Conte really likes, but who I think is very difficult, is Isak Hien,” Romano shared during a YouTube broadcast, as reported by The Football Channel.
Hien remains under contract with Atalanta until 2028, and the club is said to be reluctant to entertain offers for the dependable defender. However, with Napoli eager to rebuild under Conte, the Partenopei may test Atalanta’s resolve in the coming weeks.
For now, Hien remains an Atalanta player—but with Conte’s admiration and Napoli’s ambition, the transfer saga could be one to watch closely this summer.
by Emmanuel Atanga | Jun 14, 2025 | Africa, Ghana, International, Soccer
Spanish international with Ghanaian roots, Nico Williams, is once again on FC Barcelona’s radar as the Catalan giants reignite their interest in the dynamic forward.
After failing to lure the Athletic Club star last summer, Barça now sees a renewed opportunity to land the 21-year-old, who recently expressed openness to a move to Camp Nou. Although he signed a contract extension with the Basque side last year, growing ties between the player’s camp and Barcelona suggest a potential transfer is back on the table.
Transfer guru Fabrizio Romano has confirmed that talks between the Blaugrana and Williams’ representatives have already taken place, and early signs point to mutual interest. However, any move will depend on Barcelona agreeing a fee with Athletic Club, who value their prized winger highly and are unlikely to entertain lowball offers.
While German champions Bayern Munich also have eyes on the forward, sources close to the player say his preference remains a stay in Spain—further boosting Barça’s chances.
As the summer window heats up, all eyes will be on whether Barcelona can find the financial muscle to bring one of La Liga’s brightest talents to Catalonia.
by Emmanuel Atanga | Jun 14, 2025 | AFCON, Africa, Europe, Ghana, International, Soccer, World Cup
Amid swirling public debates and growing speculation over leadership changes within the Black Stars camp, senior midfielder Thomas Partey has set the record straight, dismissing claims of a captaincy feud as mere outside noise.
The conversation around Ghana’s captaincy intensified during the 2025 AFCON qualifiers, where a rotation of armbands among key players raised eyebrows. With Andre Ayew out of the squad and Partey sidelined due to injury, Mohammed Kudus led the team in a double-header against Sudan, followed by Jordan Ayew taking up the role in the next fixture — a match that ended in disappointment for the team.
The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has since named Jordan Ayew as the official captain ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifying matches.
In an interview with Sportsblog247.com, Partey addressed the brewing controversy for the first time, firmly denying any power struggle or tension in the dressing room.
> “Personally, I’ve never wanted to control or lead anything. I joined the Black Stars because I love this team and the country. I’ve watched great players give everything for Ghana, and I want to do the same,” the Arsenal midfielder shared.
He emphasized that the supposed conflict is fabricated by external voices, which in turn burden the coaching staff and players with unnecessary scrutiny.
> “The issue is not within the team. We don’t talk about who should be captain. When there’s a change in leadership, it happens smoothly. The pressure comes from outside. It’s the media and fans who create a problem that doesn’t exist among us,” Partey added.
The 31-year-old reiterated that team unity remains intact as Ghana prepares for its upcoming World Cup qualifying clashes against Chad and Mali in September.
by Emmanuel Atanga | Jun 13, 2025 | Africa, Europe, International, Nigeria, Soccer, World Cup
Taribo West, famous for his iconic green braids and commanding presence in defense, became a World Cup cult hero for Nigeria in the late 1990s. Official records listed him as 28 during the tournament. But whispers across football circles suggest a different reality—that Taribo may have actually been 40 years old at the time. The revelation, if true, adds another layer of myth to one of football’s most intriguing figures, raising questions about age documentation in African football during that era.
Whether fact or folklore, the tale of Taribo West’s “real age” continues to stir debates among fans and pundits alike, reinforcing his status as a legend whose story goes far beyond the pitch.